Who is responsible for damages in a truck-related accident?

truck accident

Trucks drive across the country on major highways every day. They transport a range of various cargo. Commercial truck accidents can cause serious injuries just based on their large size and density alone. Accidents involving trucks can have a wide range of consequences. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a truck driver or trucking company’s negligence, reach out to a qualified and adept Buffalo Truck Accident Lawyer who can help you seek reasonable damages. We can help you seek the justice you deserve. 

What can cause a truck driver to get into an accident?

Several factors can cause a truck driver to get into an accident while on the road. A range of the most common causes include:

  • Driver fatigue
  • Distracted driving
  • Driving while impaired
  • Reckless driving
  • Improper training
  • Speeding
  • Road conditions
  • Weather conditions
  • Defective mechanical parts
  • Insufficient maintenance
  • Overweight cargo
  • Overloaded cargo

Truck accidents can cause catastrophic injuries that can change a person’s life. If you have been involved in an 18-wheeler truck accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Life-threatening injuries can have delayed effects which could result in fatality. Truck drivers and other drivers on the road have a responsibility to abide by the rules of the road to prevent accidents and injuries.

Are truck drivers liable for crashes that cause serious injury?

Truck drivers are only responsible for around 20% of accidents, leaving cars responsible for around 80% of collisions. Trucks have a bad reputation for being extremely dangerous, but cars are typically the ones to blame for causing collisions with trucks. However, if a truck driver is found by any means at fault due to driver error, they may be held liable for any damages. A trucking company can fire a truck driver on probable cause depending on the degree of fault and severity of the collision. However, if the company which the truck driver worked for forced the driver to work too many hours or improperly trained them, the company would then be held liable for any damages. Furthermore, truck drivers are not the only ones who can be held responsible for truck accidents. The trucking company, the manufacturer, and the cargo company can also be held liable for any damages.

If you or someone you care about has been involved in a tragic trucking accident, reach out to an experienced and dedicated member of our team. We can fight for you and help you get fair compensation for your damages.