If you were hurt in a car accident, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation for your injuries and burdens sustained as a result of another’s negligence. Read on and reach out to our experienced Buffalo car accident lawyer to get started.
What should I do after a car accident?
If you were involved in a car accident and were severely injured, you may want to consider your legal options. It is important to recognize that while car crashes can leave an individual frozen until law enforcement arrives, it is important that if you are able, you do all you can to document the facts of the accident. Again, if you are able, after a car crash, you should be sure to take the following steps:
- Call 911. Inform the police of your accident and ask them to dispatch an ambulance.
- Ask the other driver for his or her insurance information. Never apologize for an accident. It can be misinterpreted as taking the blame.
- Take photos and videos of any vehicles involved in the accident, in addition to any property damage generated by the accident. You can also take photos of the injuries you sustained.
- Ask any witnesses of your accident for their contact information.
- Keep a copy of the medical documentation or bills relating to your injuries.
- Reach out to our firm to speak with an experienced Buffalo auto accident lawyer who has a substantial background in managing car accident claims on behalf of their clients. Our firm can work to acquire all other evidence required to present your personal injury claim.
What are the common causes of car accidents in New York?
There are a number of different ways that an individual can be hurt in a car accident. In some cases, they can be a result of inclement weather conditions and poor road conditions, however, in the majority of cases, driver negligence is the most common culprit. Some of the leading causes of car accidents in New York State include the following:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Texting while driving (or otherwise driving while distracted)
- Driving over the speed limit
- Driving while tired
- Running traffic lights or stop signs
- Unsafely changing lanes or merging
- Tailing drivers too closely
- If you were injured because another driver was displaying any of the aforementioned behaviors at the time of your accident, you are most likely qualified for financial compensation.
How long do I have to file my personal injury claims in New York?
Recognize that the statute of limitations for car accident injuries in New York is three years. This means that depending on the circumstances of your accident, this time limit can vary, such as if the accident involved property owned by the government or a municipality. In this situation, you will only have a matter of months to sue. That is why it is critical to bring your claim to a skilled attorney as soon as you are able to. Our firm is prepared to fight for you and your rights.
Contact Our Experienced New York Firm
If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury in New York, look no further than Ramos & Ramos. Whether you were injured in an auto accident, a slip and fall, or under any other circumstances, our firm is on your side. To learn more about our team and how we can assist you, contact us today.